WDC-300 Canon Housing
This is the Canon WDC300 underwater housing.
fits the Canon S45, S40 and S50 Cameras. As you can see, all the
camera controls are accessible via the housing (although you need to
use some combinations to reach the occasional menu). Canon has
updated their camera software and you can now turn the camera off
and on without removing it from the housing.
You'll see that I have coloured-in the silver lens perimeter with a
waterproof black marker. I was concerned about internal reflection
from the add-on lenses. Seems to have helped, but not as much as
using the Inon "clear photo" flash system - that eradicates the problem altogether.
The Canon housing has a single "O" ring and a double latch system.
It is rated to 30m but, I have (inadvertently) taken it to 40m
without any problems.
There is a bit of talk about fogging problems with these
housings, and I did have this initially DESPITE using the Canon
supplied anti-fog. There is a fair bit of heat generated by the
internal flash and this certainly predisposes to condensation over
the dive time. The solution that has worked for me is to :
- Use the de-fog before every dive
- Insert a silica gel moisture absorber into the housing with
- Keep the housing cool before the dive in a container of
A routine part of my pre-dive routine is to check and grease the "O"
ring (grease supplied by Canon) and ensure that all controls work
freely. Post dive I always leave the housing to soak and check
everything works after it dries.
- Well made compact see through body. Leaks would be
- Cheap ++ compared to third party housings
- Easy access to all controls.
- Full view of screen.
- Simple but effective locking system.
- Tendency to fog if your not careful.
- Cost of replacement "O" rings.
- Silver reflective cap around glass port.